NEW FIRE AND SMOKE ALARM STANDARDS
New domestic fire regulations are coming into force in February 2022. They apply to every domestic property in Scotland and it is the responsibility of the property owner to meet the new standards.
The standard requires:-
• One smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used for general daytime living purposes
• One smoke alarm in every circulation space on each storey, such as hallways and landings
• One heat alarm installed in every kitchen
All smoke and heat alarms should be ceiling mounted and interlinked.
Where there is a carbon-fuelled appliance such as a gas boiler, an open fire or a gas heater present, a carbon monoxide detector is also required, which does not need to be linked to the fire alarms.
For detailed information from the Scottish Government, visit:
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Care & Repair can supply and install a compliant interlinked system free of charge through a £0.5million Scottish Government initiative, providing you meet their qualifying criteria. You must:-
· Live in and own your home which must be within council tax bands A-C
• Be of state pension age and in receipt of Guarantee Pension Credit
• Have a disability and be in a support group for Employment and Support Allowance
Please note, we successfully bid for a limited proportion of the funding for Renfrewshire, East Renfrewshire and Inverclyde, and it will be allocated on a first come first serve basis.
The general package includes 5 battery operated AICO products – 3 Radiolink smoke alarms, 1 Radiolink heat alarm and 1 standalone CO alarm.
WHAT IF YOU DON’T QUALIFY?
For those who do not qualify for the Scottish Government initiative, we may still be able to help.
If you own your home and are over 60 or have a disability (receiving DLA, PIP or Attendance Allowance), we can supply and install an interlinked system for a reasonable charge.
As an example, a 3 bedroom semi-detached property would require a 5 device system for which we would charge £350 to supply and install. We will be able to provide an exact cost once we have full details about your home.
Please contact us to discuss.