Council Occupational Therapists (OTs) carry out home assessments to establish your requirements for permanent adaptations.  If supported, and if our assistance is required, referrals for the necessary works are made to Care & Repair.
Please note we only provide this service for owner occupiers and private tenants.  Council and Housing Association tenants should contact their landlords directly.
The types of work generally include:-
  • Installation of access ramps and steplifts
  • Removal of baths and installation of wet floor and level access showers
  • Clos-o-mat installations
  • Kitchen adaptations
  • Door widening
Wet floor 6 Mansefield Cres (3) Level access 3
Our Project Officers will visit with the OT to discuss the specification and from that point will co-ordinate all aspects of the adaptation in conjunction with the client and OT.  This includes:-
  • Assess the technical aspects of the work.
  • Prepare detailed specifications or co-ordinate consultants if Planning Permission or Building Warrants are required.
  • Obtain estimates from reputable specialist contractors.
  • Apply for council grants.  These range from 80 – 100% towards the total cost of OT recommended works.  In some cases of hardship we may also be able to access charitable funding to meet funding shortfalls.
  • Visit while works are being carried out to advise and assist throughout.
The first point of contact should be the Council Occupational Therapy Department but we are able to provide the relevant contact details if required.